Communication breakdown due to improper grammar usage

Thursday, June 13, 2013

THE WILD DUCK…

“The Wild Duck” is a drama which we read this semester. I wanted to share with you some information about this play. Actually, it is not very amusing drama. L Before I started reading the piece for the first time, I had expected something different from the act one. I thought that the plot would revolve around the wild duck, but it reversed. Then, I have read the act one and two. To sum up the first two acts, the piece firstly appeared with the speech of two waiters who are Jensen and Pettersen. 

                         

There was a party at Werle’s house and there were many guests. This party was held on the behalf Werle’s son, Gregers. It is understood from the speech by Pettersen that Gregers came to the town after a long while. The speech of Petterson is that “Yes. His son came yesterday. He has never been to town all the years.” The party goes as it is expected guests have fun and talk to each other. On the other side, there was a man whose name Hjalmar Ekdal, who is also a good friend of Gregers Werle. They chat with each other and Gregers learn something unexpected news from him, especially about his father. One of them is that his father helped Hjalmar to get married to Gina Hansen and also set up a studio for him. In addition, the first act ends with a quarrel between Gregers and Werle. 













The second act starts with the family life of Hjalmar. They have a child called Hedwig with Gina, whose eyesight is getting day by day. Then, Gregers come to their house and talk to each other. It is interesting that for the first time it is mentioned about the wild duck in this act. When I totally got rid of the summary part, I want to state my ideas about first two acts. I think this piece is quite strange from both Medea and Macbeth. It is not written in a poetic form, too. It seems to me that almost nearly every speech of the characters hide a secret. I really suspected about the marriage Gina and Werle, for instance. 
                                                                     
Anyway, I really liked the part starting with Hedwig's childish tones because this adds a childish suspense and desire into the piece. She says:” Oh, but, Mother, can’t I read a little more? Just a little?” It seems to me that this child is deprived of something, but what? I questioned every tension, fluctuation between the characters, so I also tried to focus on the inner thoughts of the characters deeply. However, I could say that I did not appreciate that the events were a bit confusing because there were always long speeches between the players and it was hard to understand the background of events unless you followed the dialogues carefully.  
                     
And finally, I have one discussion question. Why did Werle help Gregers set up a studio and get married although he did not want anyone to know this secret event? Maybe the answer could be that he might be making use of Gregers for some reasons and some aims, but what are his aims, why, why, and why? Again there happened many questions. Anyway, when the play has finished, we will uncover the secrets of the play.
And what do you think about this??? ,)
Maybe, you can read this play and find the answer :)


                                                                                                                     Kevser KARAGÜL

No comments:

Post a Comment